View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 01:20 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Spey weight for largemouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Just out of curiousity, is there anyone besides myself who regularly fishes for Bass with a two hand rod? How about Pike? How about still water?
I quoted you there Dan only to use as a reference point but that is where I think the personal preference comes into play. Aside from pike fishing I fish bass both smallmouth and largemouth in still waters and don't use the two hander. The single hand rod does just as good if not a better job in my opinion.

Dan has more spey casts under his belt than anyone I can think of and has a deep understanding of exactly what it takes to get a bass sized fly to them. What I think he's trying to tell you is that with a spey, lets use a Scandi head for example, you'll have 35' +/- head on the water, it sticks to the water due to surface tension combine that with leader length and a fly that is either weighted to sink or or a popper (wind resistant) one obviously needs a line with enough mass to lift it up and out of the water the other needs a line with mass to break the surface tension and get it up and out. When you combine all of that and want to achieve any real distance you need a line system heavy enough to overcome all of that and cast they fly close to where you want it. The idea behind spey is to get great distance with great efficiency, can you do that with a 4wt to 6wt spey yeah you can but your working just as hard or in some instances harder to do so than with a single handed rod. Well then why would a single hand spey line like an Ambush head work when its considerably lighter? Because the line's mass is concentrated in a smaller package loading a smaller rod. There is less line on the water to stick and less to move. If you look at the Ambush heads they start at 20' or two times a standard 9 foot fly rod, now look at the spey/shooting head combo most heads range between 2 to 3 times the rod's length, notice a trend? Its all relative to the distance you want to cast and fly you want to present. It has absolutely nothing to do with the size of fish.