View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 05:19 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fishing the Ohio River Bank Spey

I wade a bit. With the longer rods like I use I need a bit of water behind me for my anchor but not a lot. If I were to cast at even a 60* downstream I could do it from shore in dress shoes. I generally cast at least straight across for Walleye. Bass I don't really need to wade much because I am tossing right down the outside of the weed beds. I stand on the inside and anchor kind of on the weeds. I Perry Poke out and cast down. I get a ways out from the edge and strip back and because I'm using 15' rods I can keep it on the outside all the way down. Because I toss out a ways, each time I move down I cover a lot of new water. I have had Bass come up and hit flies well away from the weeds. Pike as well. Actually I use the same strategy for Pike. Start upriver and work your way down. Pay attention to holes in the weeds, points, deadfalls, old pilings, etc. It helps to work them from more than one angle.

Make a stripping basket that hangs low on your bottom hand side. I strip the whole head in, then shake it out, Perry Poke and cast back at the same distance out from the weeds after making a few feet farther down river. I also don't move every cast either. I generally work an area harder than most. I'm not a run and gun guy at all. I have fished behind people and outfishd them getting Bass they missed. It pays to work an area hard. I should PM you my phone number.