View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 10:49 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nostalgia of Bamboo Rods

I'd imagine some of the more experienced folks will comment (as I type, Ard posts!), but thought I'd offer my limited experience. The first time I cast one I was taken aback when I felt the rod flex down into the grip. I'm not sure if this is true of some of the modern tapers but I've come to like that slow feeling and have found I can lay out a fly rather nicely. Also landed some sizable fish with bamboo. Initially I was worried about the ferrules, but it played the fish wonderfully. It's definitely different than casting graphite.

p.s. if I was going to buy an rod from Bill Oyster, I put the money towards his week long class and build my own under his instruction. Wouldn't come out as beautiful as one he made, but wow! what an opportunity to learn