View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 07:05 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Odd or even number rods?

My first time visiting this thread...a thread that could only flourish in the dead of winter. We are an "odd lot", us fly fishers, but like Dan, I have every line weight from #4 - 12 except for #11 (but I covet the one piece Proaxis #11). I select a quiver for a given environment based on the rods' personalities (performance characteristics and feel) not line weight. I don't think in terms like "how much different can a #4 be from #5 and if I have a #5 why have a #6?" I have a #4 more potent than many a #5 and I have fished small dries with a 6-weight. The distances to be cast on a given stream and the wind, anticipated hatch, the potential for big stoneflies, hoppers or even streamers when mostly I'm thinking baetis all weigh into my selections. If I am going fishing for a day or two I might just take two or three rods but any longer than that at least five rods (short and long #4, at least two #5's and a 6-weight too) come trout fishing with me and flats fishing; with the potential for bones, permit, barracuda and tarpon...I bring a tackle shop along.