View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: impact of rod color?

Hi Mike,

Good points your making with this topic. I have found that rod color and a well coordinated attire are mostly species specific. I use dark grey rods for my trout C&R as well as grayling fishing. The earth tone of cane is best used on the days when I really don't care what I catch.

Olive green; now that's the big fish color. I kid you not Combine olive green with the proper wader and jacket colors and you can knock them dead. If I were taking you fishing I would offer you one of my black & camo with the barbed wire graphic Chevy caps to wear also. I have 2 of them that the dealer gave me when I got the truck.

These fish were dead when photographed but I released a total of 13 during the 3 day time span of the three pictures. I wore the clothing and used the olive Spey rod each day.

Click the image to open in full size.

This catching went on for the remainder of the season and I wore the same cloths and cap and I slept with the olive Spey rod. I don't know for sure how many fish were caught and released but I took 3 for food they were 33 - 34 and 42 pounds.

I have found that for whatever reason when I used a gloss black 1981 Hardy Spey with scarlet whippings last year all of the fish were smaller. I caught more of them but they were no doubt smaller. I also wore an old black cap with a red North Face logo on it, strange. This spring I am going back with the olive blanks on a new Hardy Marksman 2 'T' series rod and wearing the Chevy cap and Filson jacket. Time will tell if I am onto something here.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;