View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 05:59 PM

riverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really niceriverbilly is just really nice
Default Re: Freeze dried meals....

I do several multi-night campouts a year and take freeze dried and MREs.
In my opinion Mountain House is the best freeze dried. I'm not a big fan of the Backpacker's Pantry, especially the breakfast. On the three and four night trips I'll take a few MREs also, freeze dried every night gets old, but I'd say Mountain House is usually tastier. The nice thing about MREs is that you get a side item, snacks, coffee, etc.

John, my favorites are the Lasagna with Meat Sauce, Beef Stew, and Beef Stroganoff with Noodles. The lasagna is better than some of the frozen stuff you get at the supermarket.
The only breakfast one that I like is the Breakfast Skillet. Bring some tortillas and douse it in your favorite pepper sauce and it's not bad.
Has anybody tried the ice cream? A buddy of mine always brings some, it's not frozen and looks like cotton candy.

I see some on the website that I can't find around here, that Chicken Alfredo
and Sweet & Sour Pork with Rice sound interesting.

Also if you need to save space check out the Pro-Pack, they are vacuum packed to remove the air and take up a lot less space.

In two weeks I'm doing a five day trip down the Neches River in East Texas and I'm about to stock up on the freeze dried, your post was timely.