View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 05:59 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: soft hackles for brook trout? (not on swing)

IMO, soft hackle flies are great for many species. Most folks think of soft hackle flies for trout as the variety Sylvester Nemes touted, and that would be very true. But, there were earlier types used for bass also. You can tie them larger & they work well for both Smallmouths & Largemouths.

Some of the larger pheasant body feathers work particularly well.

Use your imagination!

When I was younger & spent more time trout fishing, I would go up to Hunting Creek & a few other streams near Frederick, MD & although I really didn't know it at the time what type of flies they were, as they were just simplified wet flies that I had tied, & would have some success with native Brook Trout on soft hackles.

I'm particularly fond of a pattern tied with a caddis green (chartreuse) body & a brown speckled hen hackle!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!