View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 10:53 PM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: soft hackles for brook trout? (not on swing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
IMO, soft hackle flies are great for many species. Most folks think of soft hackle flies for trout as the variety Sylvester Nemes touted, and that would be very true. But, there were earlier types used for bass also. You can tie them larger & they work well for both Smallmouths & Largemouths.

Some of the larger pheasant body feathers work particularly well.

Use your imagination!

When I was younger & spent more time trout fishing, I would go up to Hunting Creek & a few other streams near Frederick, MD & although I really didn't know it at the time what type of flies they were, as they were just simplified wet flies that I had tied, & would have some success with native Brook Trout on soft hackles.

I'm particularly fond of a pattern tied with a caddis green (chartreuse) body & a brown speckled hen hackle!
I see a lot of those caddis flies here in Quebec about mid July. Yes....the body is bright green. I tie a dry version of this caddis with just a fur body and deer body hair for wings. This fly is always in my arsenal. I should make a few soft hackle versions.