Thread: Salmon
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 11:58 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Salmon

Hi Matt,

Whoever said you're missing nothing is not a very good source for information regarding fishing. I don't just mean fly fishing, I mean fishing in general.

I am part fish; ever since I was a very young boy I've been fascinated with water. I have always been mystified wondering what secrets were, and still are hidden beneath the surface of a river. With 50 years of fishing experience and volumes of recollections to draw upon the most vivid memories of shear excitement are those that emulate from my first solid hookup with a King Salmon. No trout, no pike or bass, no not anything at all had ever exploded from the river and etched its impression into my mind like that fish that day!

I've fished for Atlantic salmon in Newfoundland - Nova Scotia & New Brunswick back in the early 80's and worked my way through the Great Lakes salmon and steelhead tributaries and estuaries. In 1989 I came here to Alaska and saw for the first time the land and its rivers that would become my home. Here I've fished for all 5 species of pacific salmons and steelhead trout and can tell you that to catch any of these fish from the Eastern Maritime Provinces to Alaska on a traditional salmon fly is like no other kind of fresh water river fishing.

I could go on but I'll wait to see what you say first. Rods? I've caught Atlantic and Landlocked Atlantic's on a 7'9" 5 weight but prefer a #7 rod. Silvers and pinks along with smaller steelhead on the same 5 weight and silvers, chum and sockeye on 7's 8's and 9 weight rods. Now I use Spey rods ranging from a 15' 10/11 weight for kings and 7 & 8 weights for the other species. A good single hand rod for kings is a 9 or 10 foot 9 weight. I've landed kings up to 43 pounds with a 9' 9 weight............

Here's a shot from a couple years ago of a salmon making me work to bring it to the shore.
Click the image to open in full size.

If you fish for salmon you get to tie and use flies like these;
[Click the image to open in full size.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;