View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 12:47 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Nostalgia of Bamboo Rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster
The magic I hear of that bamboo has for many people hasn't touched me yet.
You just haven't touched the right rod yet, Jackster - and it doesn't have to have a big name on the reel seat either - or cost much if you get lucky. If I ever wind up traveling north, I'll bring it with, and you can give it a try - or if you ever get down here.

By far my favorite is a no-name Abercrombie and Fitch 7' 4 wt. I like it better than the Payne, Leonards, Granger and FE Thomas. If you are like most guys used to feather weight graphite, most bamboo rods feel tip heavy when wiggling without a reel or line on them.

This one doesn't - perfect dry fly rod. Fast action and remarkable recovery time. Maybe Bill, as a maker, can tell me why, but I personally think that the damping of bamboo is much faster and more complete than high modulus rods like Sage TCX, TCR's etc. They are way, way easier on the elbow than the above graphite - especially if underlining them, as is my tendency. You don't get that vibration all the way up your arm after the rebound. It's like the difference between running a Jonsereds chain saw as compared to a Homelite.

It takes me no time at all to convert back to bamboo when I haven't cast one in several years - as I recently discovered. But that's all I fished with for a lot of years, and it was like a reawakening when I strung that particular one up a month ago or something. I'd forgotten just how wonderful it is to cast a light bamboo rod and line in a light breeze.

You'd be smitten by this rod Jackster, guaranteed. I wish I knew the name of the maker.