View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 05:52 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SAGE ONE: Looking for thoughts...

I have a Sage One 10 ft 5 wt that I bought primarily as a nymphing rod. As Pete says it is is "the truest tracking, line blasting rod he has ever fished", but that being said, I don't think it is any better or worse than the Helios, maybe in the hands of a true master caster you could see the difference, but for me they are both excellent casting rods. I really like the way the One can bomb casts out and the accuracy it has, but it is a stiff rod that takes some real care when setting the hook. It is real easy to get over excited and set the hook a little too aggresively and bang you just broke the fish off. I lost count of the number of fish I broke off when I first got it, but I was determined to get used to how it handled. I fished with it all last year and have gotten used to that idiosyncrasy. Maybe the One would be a better rod in the heavier sizes like an 8 wt.