View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 11:21 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nostalgia of Bamboo Rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditz View Post
That, my friend, is not a working man's tool.
It depends on the working man's priorities and other commitments. Not many could do it on an impulse purchase but saving up for some years, it can be doable for many. Personally, a $2000 rod isn't something I plan on purchasing whether or not I can afford it, as I have many other things I'd rather put that money towards. In fact, if I was going to spend that cash I'd take Oyster's rod building class for a week. However, you don't have to spend that for bamboo.

I finished 2 from imported blanks, the second with nice ferrules and agate guide from Golden Witch and snakes from Snake Brand Guides and all told probably came in under $400 for all my materials. Love fishing them both. I know there is a builder in the US that would sell you a blank ferruled for less than $300, if you only want 1 tip and unferruled then less than $200. Even giving yourself $300 to spend on components (nice rod!) you're coming in below $500 or $600. His rods start below $700 completed.

I think there is also a used market out there, though you'd want to research the rods to know what you're getting.