View Single Post
Old 04-10-2009, 08:45 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abel Trout or Creek?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7XBWO20 View Post
I would search for a Hardy Featherweight fly reel, an older one. The newer one's just are not the same. The reel weighs 3 1/2 oz and is 2 7/8 inches.
Robert

I fish and Abel Super 5N on my 5 wt. and I like the reel a lot. Yes, if you want to change the spool, then you do have to back off the lock nut and remove the drag adjustment knob. And if you're doing that on stream on in a boat, then that's a risk factor that you have to contend with. I carry an extra nut and drag adjustment knob with me; for just that reason. But, although that may seem like a lot; the drag on the Abel makes it worth the extra effort (and precautions) for me. And, you know, I've never needed the spare nut or knob.

I'd also second the recommendation for a Hardy Featherweight. I just got one for my vintage glass Phillipson 6'6" Midge rod and it's a perfect match for that very light weight rod. This one is new and, yes, it's made in Korea. I have an older made-in-the-UK Featherweight and, truthfully, I can't tell the difference between the two; other than the fact that the older reel is well broken in and, therefore, feels smoother. I think that mechanically and functionally, the Korean-made reel a match for the UK made reel. And, I got it out of the UK, with shipping, for $181.00. In my opinion, not bad for a quality reel.