View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 03:39 PM

countr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Wind River Range in August

A similar trip that you should consider is the Lake Sonnicant area. I am headed there this summer and am planning to make it my feature trip of the summer. There are many good lakes within a 2 mile radius of Sonnicant and it is easily reached from the Scab Creek Trailhead. My plan is to beeline out of Scab Creek to the Halls/Middle Fork Lake area. Both lakes are reputed to hold decent brook trout. Two nights at Middle Fork and then hike over the divide at Kagevah Pass. Drop into Sonnicant and make basecamp. Explore and fish many small lakes around Sonnicant for 4-5 nights. Then take a day and a half to hike the 21-22 miles back to the car.

I look forward to this trip, but there is some bad news. It's the most popular area on the Reservation. The fishing is good, but there are no exceptionally large fish..........and it's all cutthroats and brookies......no goldens. But if you're looking for an area loaded with fish for the frying pan, you'd be hard pressed to find something better.