Thread: sharp hooks
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 09:15 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sharp hooks

Ouch! That is not an acceptable situation for your poor face's sake. We need to figure out what you are doing right away before you really do some damage.

First you are blowing your anchor because the fly should exit the water in front of you and to whatever side you have your top hand on. Top hand is your right, the fly should exit the water on a up then forward path forward and right of you. If the fly comes back as far or farther that you are, you have blown your anchor. That's assuming you have your anchor set up right in the first place I guess I should say, and that's probably not true either since the fly is hitting you in the face. Or maybe possibly not true. What side of you did this happen and where was the current and wind coming from? When you set up your anchor, where is the fly in relation to you? How fast was the water and was it dragging your fly into a bad spot before you cast? What cast where you making, i.e. snap T, double spey etc.?

If you have properly placed your anchor, and go up into the start position and blow your anchor with, let's say right hand on top, the fly will exit the water and make a path towards behind you, eventually either curving back up and then out into the river, or striking an object behind you and then traveling out into the river. It should still miss you by a safe distance. Now if you have a short head, make your sweep up into the start position but raise the rod tip to high early in the sweep and allow the wind to push your D loop over at you and then blow your anchor, maybe even combined with an anchor placement to far back and close, you may very well be asking for a free piercing.

It would be hard to say what all is going wrong without video, but I would suggest you try a couple of things. Watch very carefully where you place your fly and your anchor. Watch where your line kisses the water. Slow down. You are putting to much power in the wrong spot and that is causing the blown anchor. You can get away with a fly right in front of you as long as you don't blow your anchor. But till you are so comfortable with casting you don't need to think about it, keep the fly off to your side a safe distance. If your fly ends up in front of you, abort the cast. If your fly ends up close and behind you, abort the cast.

Till I get more information, that's about all I can think of right off the bat. Get back to me on what I asked and we will work the face hooking kinks out of your cast.

OK, I just reread your post. You have a couple of serious faults going here. The D loop should never pass around behind you. If your fly had been properly placed you would have hooked yourself every cast and not just the couple you did. You need to keep the fly out in front and to the side. You need a longer leader. 4' is way to short. I don't think you are getting a good anchor, I think you are going into the cast poorly placed and a combination of things going on here. Can you shoot video for me?

One more question, how long is your head and do you have a cheater on it?

Last edited by Guest1; 02-22-2013 at 09:34 PM.