View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 11:20 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mako Shark on the fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by chased View Post
How much does a reel and rod in that weight range weigh in terms of pounds or ounces? Seems like your arm would be dead after a day of casting, not to mention fighting a beast of an animal.
You don't blind cast all day for fish like that. It would be a pain quite literally if you did. They chum them in, and cast teasers with spinning or casting gear to get them in fly range then bait and switch them. When I lived on the ocean I found that Mako's are a less trusting shark and are hard to get close. Blue sharks will swim right up to the boat, you and anything else around. Makos stay way back at the edge of visibility. Hawaii that was 100' or better. Guam it's more than double that. San Diego even out far was not all that far (In close I was happy with 6' of visibility) but you would not want to be casting blind all over all day.