View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 11:51 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Down-locking reel seats threaded vs. slip rings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Thanks Brian, I've seen Winslow's website, very nice inserts indeed. I do not have a lathe...someday!

I found the XP blank on the flebay, it's 9'6" 5wt. I can't wait to start putting it together. I sent some cork rings to Diver Dan to cut down for me and now that the seat and guides are on the way it shouldn't be long.

Maybe this is a silly question, it is the obvious question though: What are the reasons that one could/should not use an uplocking seat that has a standard shaped hood and just reverse it to make it lock down?

I am thinking about this type of seat (from ebay, looks good by the image and is pretty cheap)

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/SOLID-WALNUT-...c7L-(g~~_3.JPG
I suppose it's up to The Rod Maker or Customer which seat they want,

The Main answer I can come up with is,as I once had a Rod with a Downlocking Seat.
With The Uplocking Seat The Reel is Locked more securely into The Handle,whereas with Downlocking Seats when The nut/nuts are tightened The Force acts towards The Rear of The seat & there is a possability everything could come adrift.
That's what happenned to my Old Rod,after years of use as it was one of The early Flimsy Aluminium Seats everyone used so I Turned a New End Cap & Pinned it in Position.
I Finally gave it to a Mate to use for A Blackfish Rod as it was an Old 9'6" Fibreglass Rod & Everyone can imagine The Weight of it.
Another thing The Position of The Reel can effect The Balance of The Rod.

Dave I like your Downlocking Seat,looks real top Quality.
Also I've bought heaps of Different Cork Rings & am going to experiment with Different Butt Designs along The same Lines as Dan's.
Brian