View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 12:51 AM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of
Default Re: Down-locking reel seats threaded vs. slip rings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Thanks Brian, I've seen Winslow's website, very nice inserts indeed. I do not have a lathe...someday!

I found the XP blank on the flebay, it's 9'6" 5wt. I can't wait to start putting it together. I sent some cork rings to Diver Dan to cut down for me and now that the seat and guides are on the way it shouldn't be long.

Maybe this is a silly question, it is the obvious question though: What are the reasons that one could/should not use an uplocking seat that has a standard shaped hood and just reverse it to make it lock down?

I am thinking about this type of seat (from ebay, looks good by the image and is pretty cheap)

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/SOLID-WALNUT-...c7L-(g~~_3.JPG
I suppose it's up to The Rod Maker or Customer which seat they want,

The Main answer I can come up with is,as I once had a Rod with a Downlocking Seat.
With The Uplocking Seat The Reel is Locked more securely into The Handle,whereas with Downlocking Seats when The nut/nuts are tightened The Force acts towards The Rear of The seat & there is a possability everything could come adrift.
That's what happenned to my Old Rod,after years of use as it was one of The early Flimsy Aluminium Seats everyone used so I Turned a New End Cap & Pinned it in Position.
I Finally gave it to a Mate to use for A Blackfish Rod as it was an Old 9'6" Fibreglass Rod & Everyone can imagine The Weight of it.
Another thing The Position of The Reel can effect The Balance of The Rod.

Dave I like your Downlocking Seat,looks real top Quality.
Also I've bought heaps of Different Cork Rings & am going to experiment with Different Butt Designs along The same Lines as Dan's.
Brian