View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 09:14 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Diamondback Backwater

Nick, I can't give you a year but Cortland (the company that acquired Diamondback) customer service could. I miss the Diamondback company, originally from VT, which made stout well built and designed rods. I have a few from their "Stu Apte" signature series that I still fish especially in the salt. Short story: About 8 years ago, two friends and I trailerd a skiff to Islamorada during a full moon. Turns out the tarpon were feeding like crazy...but at night. Using the "electric pushpool" we fished out going tidal currents where tarpon were visibly gorging on iridescent orange shrimp. We might have 30 hook up a night ranging from 30 to 100+ pounds. Three guys in a 17' boat, at night, sometimes with two fish on at the same time...we broke five #12 rods and one #14. At the end of the week three rods were left unscathed; a one-piece J.Kennedy Fisher lent to us by Bonefish Bob, a Sage Xi2 and my Diamondback Stu Apte #12/13. Exploded Korean rods littered our rental cottage.

Last edited by sweetandsalt; 02-23-2013 at 11:57 AM.