View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 01:39 PM

joebloe has a spectacular aura aboutjoebloe has a spectacular aura aboutjoebloe has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What do you consider a "caught" fish?

Here's a quick story of a fish I definitely caught, but released itself on his own terms -
During last fall's steelhead outing my 2 buddies and I were getting into some fish - we typically like to take a quick photo with the fish we catch before releasing them -( when one of us hooks into a fish, one guy goes for the net and the other grabs the camera )- So.. I hook and fight a nice colorful steelie, get him close, and my buddy Frank gets it into our big aluminum framed net, and we notice the net is twisted around the fish's tail - the hook shakes out of the fish's mouth on it's own (usually good), and before I can get my hands on it (and before my other friend, Steve, has the camera up) this fish twists itself, using it's tangled tail as leverage, straight up and over the rim of the net and back into the river!!
After a moment of "F***!!!" we realized it was way cooler to experience what we just saw than to just have another pic of me holding a fish -