View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 10:23 AM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of
Default Re: "Deet" loosing its puch with bitie-bugs?

You know those infrared images of the human body showing the vapor trails of warmth, breath and perspiration wafting from our bodies? Mosquitoes follow that trail back to its source to suck our blood. The DEET compound intertwines molecularly with that trail which confuses the bugs sensing mechanism. DEET is not a repellent but a confuser, should the female mosquito find an exposed skin surface even if it has DEET slathered on it she is perfectly happy to not loose her appetite. It is hard to cover every exposed bit of skin and it is unclear that DEET applied to clothing, hats, etc. is effective at all. The Army has spent plenty of our money to devise the most effective bug dope and has determined that DEET is the ONLY thing that works effectively (psychological solutions not-with-standing). My experience is that when it is warm and I am traipsing through willowy water meadows to get to a secret section of a spring creek, I am going to get attacked and the more I sweat, the worse it will be.