View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 02:47 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hand tied leaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by il_wi_fishing View Post
i just made my own tapered leader for the very first time yesterday!

i was super impressed with myself and my wife turns to me and says, "your just tying two pieces of line together right? i don't see why thats too hard"

what a buzz kill...

i did very gradual steps down based upon the materials i had, went like this

2 foot of 20# mono
2 foot of 14# mono
2 foot of 8# flouro
2 feet of 4# flouro

does this seem kosher?
My wife thinks I'm nuts too when I read about and practice tying knots.

I got into tying leaders last winter and found that like most things regarding fly fishing, there are a lot of different approaches, theories, and "rules." And as many people who swear by "their" formula. Which is great, because all that means is that there are many different ways to get to the same end, a leader that works for different situations. You'll just have to find what is best for you.

You can make leaders as intricate as you can imagine. I've seen formulas with three or four 6" steps in the taper! Yikes. The simplest formula there is, that is still very effective (and easily modified) is Gary Borger's Uni-body leader design. It always consists of 4' butt (.020 Maxima) and 1' taper (.013), then to the tippet. Of course the butt can be shortened to 3' if the situation calls for it. Check it out, personally I like it. After going through very complex formulas, it is nice to come back to something very simple yet perfectly effective.

Gary Borger Blog Archive Uni-Body to Harvey Style Leader

---------- Post added at 12:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Dan
That step-down of 2/100" is what is recommended for all trout leaders.
I don't remember ever seeing one different.
For my saltwater leader I make my steps more dramatic than yours.
40#-25#-16# is my usual, but you're not trying to gracefully turn over size 14 or 24 flies
Borger claims that the .002" step down rule stems from the days of gut leader, in which "hinging" was the concern.
===========================
In the olde dayes, if one reduced the diameter of the gut sections by more than .002″, hinging would occur. That is, the thinner section would collapse back onto the thicker section. Not so with nylon. One can reduce the diameter of each subsequent section of nylon in a leader by 35% and not get hinging. That means you can connect .020″ mono directly to .013″ mono and not have a hinging problem. Now a leader can go from .020″ to .013″ to .010″ to .008. Fast and efficient. Oops, the standard Blood Knot can’t make the jumps.
===========================

Gary Borger Blog Archive 5/7 Blood Knot