View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 12:21 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hand tied leaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
I actually just read an article by Lefty advocating that people increase the length of their tippet to make the cast "more crappy", meaning that it would NOT unroll completely and would allow more "slop" to pile on the water to extend the drag-free drift.
I'm not trying to cause a ruckus here, these are all just opinions.

BUT ... In my favorite fishing scenario there is a pod of large rainbows casually but steadily sipping mayflies from the surface or right in the film. Noses and heads, sometimes shoulders rolling. The fly is a #16 PMD or maybe an #18 or god help me trico spinners in #20 and I'm casting either straight across the current or down and across over the current to the opposite seam. This cast has to be anywhere from 25 to 45 feet, the fly has to rest on the water somewhere between 8 and 2 feet from the feeding fish, in it's lane, before drag takes it away. A crappy "pile cast" isn't going to cut it. The leader has to turn over smoothly at the line to leader junction and then have enough energy to straighten at least 7 feet or more (depending on the overall length) of the leader. Some slack on the last 2 or 3 feet of the tippet is a good thing, yes indeed. But no way can I cast a 10' length of 5X tippet that is directly connected to my 4 wt line, at least not with any accuracy.

Maybe Lefty can. Heck, maybe you can too, but for the rest of us - in this type of fishing situation - you need a tapered leader.

The link I posted earlier for Gary Borger's Unibody can be made with 3 transitions, it is his simplified take on the Harvey, which imparts slack in the tippet. I assume this is what Lefty is referring to when he says "crappier cast."