View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 12:03 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default Any Past/Present Pipe Smokers/Collectors?

While browsing through a few old fishing catalogs the other day-- A&F from the 1910's, LL Bean in the early 1950's and an old Orvis catalog --I noted certain items that wouldn't be allowed in today's offerings-- pipes and tobacco. All of them featured some sort of "angler's pipe" and a tobacco to go with it. Even one of the old Hardy's catalogs featured a pipe. So...

How many of my fly-fishing brethren on this site are past or present pipe smokers or collectors? Just curious to see how many still follow in the footsteps of their fly-wrangling elders. My grandfather and his lifelong fishing partner-- "Doc" Holship --(the two men who taught me how to fly-fish)always had a pipe in pocket whenever they went astream. It will be interesting to hear how many "pipesters" we have among the group, especially given the craftsmanship of many of today's smoking pipes...

Jerry, aka hairwing530