View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 02:04 PM

jng3 is on a distinguished road
Default Need advice on new fly line.

I'm not a newcomer to fly fishing, but by no means am I an expert. I could use some advice on fly lines. I've been using a level taper 7wt floating line on my 1960's era Martin. The rod is a very slow action, tubular f'glass 8' 7wt rod. I like the rod as I have caught a train load of fish with it over the years. My fishing buddies say I need to change the line to a DT or WF. Never used a DT or WF. I make do with the level taper but I could use a line that would give me a bit more control and distance. I mostly use the rod for bass and panfish in ponds using large wooly worms, small streamers, large foam bodied spiders, and small bass bugs/poppers. What would be recommended for this rod and application? I've heard that some WF lines can overload old glass or bamboo rods and either perform poorly or actually break them. Don't know if this is true or not. The second rod I could use some advice with is a rod I just purchased. It's an Okuma Crisium graphite 4/5 wt that's 8' 6" long. Advertised as a moderately fast action. I'll be using it for panfish and trout in ponds and small rivers, mostly as a dry fly rod but occasionally with wet flies. DT or should I buy a WF? Any brand/model recommendations? I'm a blue collar stiff and would prefer lines that $50 and under but would consider more expensive lines. Thanks.