View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 06:34 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future
Default Re: hand tied leaders

Rip Tide, that's a real good tool for any tapered leader. I've used that one many times.

I tie some of my own leaders, and have been using Yozuri Hybrid. I use it because first, I like it, and second, I use it on baitcasters & spinning gear, so I only have to buy the one brand/type of line. Mine are not typical of what most of you may tie up, because I rarely trout fish. I wanted leaders for turning over big, heavily weighted flies for bass fishing & saltwater.

I often start with either 50lb or 60 lb for the butt. (.028 & .031 dia.) Like Rip Tide, I'll usually go 60%, 20% & 20%, but have tried different variations depending on what I intend to cast with the leader. That LeaderCalc tool can be very useful for making adjustments. I like a tapered leader for poppers, but rarely go longer than about 8ft. with a 20 or 15 lb test tippet depending on the popper sizes & the fish size. A straight piece of mono can be used for poppers too, but I like the tapered leader better. If I'm casting flies, like Clousers, even with a floating line, my leaders are only about 6 ft long for shallow water, 10 ft or less of depth, and then I'll switch to the sinking line once the depth goes over 10 ft.

I use straight leaders too, most often 20 lb test Hybrid, primarily with faster sinking lines & again will vary them as I need. I use a general rule, the faster the current, the shorter I want my leader & tippet. I've tried as short as a foot, but usually no longer than 5 ft.

I'll use straight leaders when fishing in heavy cover too. Like a jig fisherman throwing a jig into the heavy stuff, I'll cast flies into it. I want as few knots as possible, as knots hang up on all kinds of things. This is close range casting, usually within 25 ft, so there isn't much real need for a taper & I may go about the rod length with the leader length. Open water is a different situation.

BTW, I've bought several furled leaders too ( 3 wt, 4 wt, & a 6 wt with multiple lines) made with different materials. I like them, so if & when I get the chance to fish for trout, I'm always prepared!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!