View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 10:07 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Rods breaking on first use

I am nototiously tough on equipment....and subsequently have experienced more than my share of broken rods. Most were the net effect of that abuse, being dropped and nicked on a rock, rough rides in the bottom of a boat, etc.. No rod will stand up long to that kind of abuse. I have only ever had two break on the initial outing. Both times the companies were more than gracious about replacing the rods. I honestly can't understand how a compnay backs abused rods, but most do.....and I certainly appreciate it. I guess the cost of "no fault" warranties simply alludes to the profit margin on retail rods. I am one who only buys rods with "no fault" warranties....whether I deserve them or not.

Also, we book a lot of anglers on big money trips (Alaska and Costa Rica). Very often (mostly for CR) we outfit (lend) the anglers with equipment too as most of them do not have CR Tarpon grade equipment. Once that Rod/reel leaves our hands its hard to govern how its handled by the client. The Guides try, but.....as it was so eloquently expressed ....shite happens! Believe me when I say , 1. no rod makes it maiden voyage with a client, and 2. we really care about that warranty! Nothing will make you wince like a fatigued angler, after being an hour into a battle, sitting down and resting a straining rod on the gunwall of the boat! Yep, it happens, and by the time the guide yells to get the rod up, its too late.

In AK the most often reason for a broken rod is a fall, or when a salmon shoots between the legs of a wading angler when he brings it too close to himself. Rod bends double, tip encouters rocks on bottom, bye-bye rod tip.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.