View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 10:16 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4 or 5 weight switch rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyspey View Post
Switch is just a short Spey and Spey line in relation to single hand rods is 2 or more line weights heavier. So if you are thinking in single terms a 5 wt. would be a 3wt Spey or switch . Don't mean to confuse . I use a 3wt Spey for trout and smallmouth bass . Fishing weighted nymphs and streamers using a Steve Godshall 235 grain indicator line with standard trout leader very enjoyable.
Very similar here. I've a 3/4/5 Meizer 'trout spey' lined with one of Steve's (280 grains, also have a 320 grain for a4wt) custom cuts for a 3wt. Usually casting a size 8 to 10 bead head nymph of some sort. Tip that off with a 7' sinking furled leader (FurlGirl built) and a few feet of flrocorbon leader and you have one cool 'trout rod.' I can easily hit 90' with this rig.

Only problem is at that range you have almost no idea where your flies happen to be. You have to look down the line and 'mentally' add a few feet to get some sort of idea where you're actually fishing.