Thread: Caddidflies
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 04:52 PM

alexs will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Caddidflies

Dean,

I don't have pretty patterns. I am of the belief that fly pattern is only 10% of the game, 90% is skill (I am not that "skillful", but I am working on it). If I need more than 6-7 minutes to tie a bug, it is too complicated. I will try to simplify it. I don't always succeed: I have a few flies that I need more than 10 minutes to tie, but I don't want to be on the water without them. I am not very fast at tying. I am only tying for about a year because I couldn't find flies the way I wanted them and I was breaking off too many while Euronymphing (and with $2 a pop it became expensive).
Complicated patterns are for catching fishermen, other ways all the professional guides would be tying them. But they don't!
I mostly fish variations of PT, HE, biot bodied flies, and a few synthetics. Somewhere on the fly I will incorporate a bit of sparcle (antron, SLF, UV ice dub,etc) and movement (CDC is wonderful for this).
I make sure though that I am fishing them in the nastiest places I can find (besides the obvious trout holding spots).

Alex