View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 04:01 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Albright Products

Quote:
Originally Posted by barham View Post
I have an A5 9' 5wt which I bought 5 or 6 years ago. I broke a section due to my own spupidity and Albright replaced it immediately. I also have several other 5wt rods such as Sage ZAxis & SLT & Winston B3X & WT, and think the Albright casts right up there with them. I see they are selling a A5NS rod, which I assume is an A5 with upgraded hardware for $149.95 online. I don't see how one could go wrong on that deal.
barham
Yes, I believe it is the original A-5, but with an upgraded nickel-silver ("NS") reel seat. And I agree it is an excellent value at that price. But its ostensible MSRP is $750, and I have a hard time believing it's in the same peer group as the best rods with genuine $750 MSRPs.

(When the A-5 was first introduced, it was a direct competitor against the Redington Wayfarer at the exact same MSRP -- which was $195. And at that time, they were sold through retailers with the corresponding dealer mark-up, not directly to consumers online.)