View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 06:21 PM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Drag style for 5wt

Agreed, know the limitations of your tackle and of your own skill development. Us "old timers" that grew up with spring and pawl reels which feature a "check" rather than a "drag" learned to use our fingers as a drag. Many a big Atlantic salmon has been brought to net with larger versions of such reels...and still are by traditionalists. I have convinced myself via experimentation on a wide variety of trout streams east and west that a "drag" built into the reel is a good idea. It protects the trout regardless of ones expertise in handling your tackle. A fly fisher that can bring an adult wild trout to hand quickly with a traditional spring and pawl reel can do so, using all his techniques aided by a reel with fine-tunable quality drag, even MORE quickly. As a primarily dry fly fisher who frequents larger streams, though I love 6-weights, I prefer 5-weight rods primarily because 5X and smaller tippets are handled better with the slightly lighter line weight. This is why I have frequently recommend reels like Hardy U DD and Nautilus FWX for river (not small stream necessarily) trout fishing.