View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 08:58 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Maintaining a Silk Fly Line/ Bamboo wont seat

Your post reminds me of one I made on another board.

Quoted:

"I arrived on scene equipped with an old vintage "American Fork and Hoe" steel fly rod, and a Pflueger Gem all wound up with some old silk fly line that might be close to 40 years old (Now that I think about it, its probably even 10-20 years older, its amazing how durable that stuff is), and a pocket full of some home brewed flies. I was out there for about 1 1/2 hours, and was lucky enough to land about 35-40 fish. Here are a few pics of the big ones . ........

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

It was still a nice therapeutic way to spend a Wednesday evening. No monsters tonight, maybe next time. I did miss a really nice sized carp, that surfaced for my fly."

I'll have to look for the links I used to restore the line, I'm sure I still have them tucked away somewhere. Restoring, and fishing the old silk line was both an enjoyable, and rewarding experience. I recently purchased another silk fly line, and hope to be restoring it soon. I'll now look for the links I used to restore this first one.

---------- Post added at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

Edit: I used the same link that was already posted.

Over My Waders

Another post I made on the subject from a few years ago, that goes into a little more detail, I did not think it was that long ago..... It's amazing how fast time can fly.

Fiberglass Flyrodders • Best way to restore a Silk Fly Line?

I hope these links may help you Nrp5087, and that a late response is better than no response.

PS Nrp5087: I wish you luck with that line, from first hand experience it can be worth the extra effort required to maintain it.

Last edited by charged; 02-27-2013 at 09:46 PM.