View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 10:16 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How far could you cast with these set ups?

Welcome to the forum first of all.

Next, your question is pretty much unanswerable. I hear people on here more than you would think, say things like "I can't cast past 40 feet." which seems almost inconceivable to me, and on the other end of the spectrum I know a guy that can take literally anything and blast it past 100 feet.

The distance you can cast is only 10% or less the rod, and the rest is you. Form and practice will mean far more than the rod and line.

Now a couple of questions from me. Have you figured out how to haul? How far are you casting these rods?

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by glcaddis View Post
A good caster could undoubtedly throw the entire fly line. But in my experience that is neither required nor desirable. ........... But, remember most of the fish we catch are caught within 30 feet of where we are standing,
That might be true where you are, but that is not at all true in a lot of places including here. I get far more fish farther away than 30' than less. In fact I would say at a rate of about 40:1. In fact most of my fish are from better than 50' out. Here distance is desirable and in fact there is no such thing as to long a cast.