View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 09:21 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: A Question For the Experts

Scientific Anglers XPS since it seems to still be available. I've used it on my light rods for years with no problem or need to look further for a better line. And then came the Textured Trout. Two things that I thought could use improvement on the XPS were a longer rear taper and head which the Textured Trout has and a tip that actually floats (not just an SA premium line issue at the time when the XPS and GPX were right up there at the top of the heap) The Textured has a new Dry Tip technology that might actually work.

Rio Trout LT for the same reasons as above but claims to be designed to help with roll casts and single-handed spey casts which sure come in handy in places that many 3 weights are used.

The above two lines would be my first picks. Having the same BIIt as you I'm still using the XPS but that's because that rod has been on the back burner while I've been using heavier weight rods more because of the places I've been fishing.

I have the Cortland Trout Boss but in a 6 weight which may or may not transfer well into the 3 weight class. It has all of the attributes I like in a line so far so I can't imagine it not being as good in the 3 weight. One of my very pet peeves with a floating line is a tip that won't float and if it doesn't it always seems to be the job or fault of the operator to make sure it does. I have 3-4 year old Cortland lines with the Dyna-Tips and have never had lines float so well without a lot of babysitting and hoop-jumping on my part. My 6 weight Trout Boss I have will have some of that Dyna-Tip cut off because I feel it affects the cast somewhat as if that magic material is a bit stiffer than the line itself.

Airflo Ridge Supple Technical with its long front taper that promotes a nice, soft presentation and might be worth a shake, especially if you lather up in DEET as the polyurethane coating isn't as affected by it.

Whatever you decide, consider a line that is true-to weight. The BIIt series needs no line weight crutch.