View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 05:57 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Recommendations for a 1 wt.

Having said on more than numerous occasions that I'd never fish anything lower than a 3 wt., here I am contemplating a lower weight rod; a 1 wt.

I've encountered a lot of tiny books in the area where I live and have seen native Brookies taking bugs on the surface, so I know they're there.

I'm talking 4-6" fish with, potentially, an 8" "Monster", but likely many more fish on the smaller side. The brooks are only 3-4' across at their widest points and they're all steep gradient with lots of small waterfalls followed by fairly deep pools (for a 3-4' brook).

So, I'm thinking that my trusty Sage 7'6" ZXL 3 wt. is probably over-kill in this type of situation. It won't be far from dapping and although it probably has Tenkara written all over it, I'm not going to go there at this point.

So, for those of you who fish the lower weight rods, what are your recommendations. I'd be looking for a full flex rod so that I can get a good presentation over a very short distance. A 20' cast is going to be out of the ordinary in these fishing environments.

I can tell that I'm going to make a purchase; I looked over all of the small fish gear at my local Fly Shop yesterday and stocked up on #18 and #20 Caddis patterns............I've already got the tiny winged wets covered............

Pocono