View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 03:45 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default Did You Know...?

I was going through my journal today for 2012, and it carried an entry that detailed an incident that I was privy to here on the AuSable River in the fall of '12. Let me set the stage...

An elderly friend and I were fishing a gentle run of the river not far from the house when we heard the approach of a pair of canoes. As we usually do, we both picked up and waited for them to pass. Rather than merely saying "Hello" and heading downstream, they paddled into the shallows near the bank and launched into a vulgar tirade about fly-fishermen in general. It wasn't pretty, and it was all that I could do to hold my temper in check!

So, just in case you haven't been told of our sorry plight as being one of "those fly-fishing XC#$@G$," here's the scoop...

Did you know:

that fly fishermen think they own every river in which they wet their boots?

that fly fishermen are the biggest bunch of self-absorbed and self-righteous (insert vulgar description here)?

that fly fishermen are not in touch with reality? (After all, who would spend that much money on catching a fish?

that fly fishermen think themselves superior to everyone else?

that the sporting of fly fishing should be outlawed as "cruel"?

Once finished with the tirade, I offered the following responses...

Did you know:

that fly fishermen as a whole have improved every river in which we've wet said boots?

that fly fishermen are not really "self-absorbed..." just more in touch with their/our surroundings?

that fly fishermen are more aware of the painful "realities" that often affect our rivers?

that fly fishermen don't see themselves as "superior," just better at some things than others.

and last but not least, that fly fishermen ARE NOT guilty of cruelty in its many forms??

The tirade made me wonder... Is this the way that we fly-fishermen are preceived by John Q. Public? I pray that we're not. But, such a verbal assault does cause one to wonder...

Your thoughts?

Jerry, aka hairwing530