View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 04:45 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How far could you cast with these set ups?

I've noticed that beginners often think that distance is the measure of a good caster.
And it is to some degree. You need good technique to be able to cast distance.
But distance is not the end-all. It's just one of many casting skills that you will need to be an accomplished fly fisherman.
You got roll casting, aerial mends, reach casts, puddle casts, tuck casts.... Head winds, tailing winds, cross winds....
There's a lot of stuff that's more important than being able to cast half way to France.
Again... I'm not saying that distance is unimportant... because it is.
It's just that it's not the end-all and with increased skills will naturally come increased distance.

I was at a casting clinic once and an informal poll was taken. There was very few of us that could honestly admit to being able to cast 80'.
75'-80' is about it for me. I can cast further but then I'd have to concentrate on it and that would make it casting and not fishing.
I do think that anyone should be able to cast any and every rod 60'. Even the worst POS