Thread: Fly Line Color
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 05:45 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all
Default Re: Fly Line Color

I did a casual experiment with bright lines vs. 'natural' colored lines a couple years ago, mostly on still waters, but also on a couple three streams. The short version of my findings were that I found that only when the water was extremely clear, shallow, and slow moving water did line color have any apparent effect.

On a personal note, there are times when I like throwing brighter lines (i.e., low light levels, heavy wind, fast currents) especially if I'm throwing farther than 60 ft. But at this point in my FF career I'd have to say that probably 90% of the time I throw neutral-colored lines.

Peace.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark