View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 06:57 PM

rangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Favorite less expensive rods / reels?

Probably someone already mentioned the St. Croix Imperial, but just in case . . . I pulled the trigger on this stick after much research and reading all the unanimously positive reviews about this rod. I still take it with me on every trip. It is a fast action, albeit with a fairly soft tip, so extremely short single false cast manuevers are not its forte, but for a general purpose 4 wt. I think it's tough to beat.

As for cheap reels, I have several Okuma SLVs, which are slowly being phased out for upgrades, but they are decent reels with very good drags (cork) at a very low price point. They are a bit fragile though, compared to the machined aluminum reels I favor now, but as boat/float tube reels they are as good as anything out there.

Peace.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark