View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 05:05 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Past/Present Pipe Smokers/Collectors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairwing530 View Post
fae,

If you can describe the taste, odor-- aromatic or whatever the blend -- burning qualities, etc., maybe I can find something among my collection of aged tobaccos that you could sample and perhaps find a tobacco to your liking that won't find you re-mortgaging the house. Thanks to some good friends of mine and fellow "pipesters" and fly fishermen, I've got a fair amount of differing blends on hand.

Also, let me know your likes/dislikes in a tobacco, and perhaps, its general appearance? That might help to narrow it down a little more.

Me? I like a mild "aromatic" that fulfills my need for something that both tastes and smells good. Even thought the smoking of an "aro" is paramount to piping heresy, I still enjoy 'em. Besides, it keeps "my girls" happy. And, when you're sorely outnumbered-- the only other male to keep regular company in this family was a cat who passed a few years back --you do whatever you can to keep the peace.

So, if you can fill in some of the details via PM, I'll see what I can come up with for you... Jerry, aka hairwing530
Sounds like I'm going to have to break in a new Brierwood (sp?). For those of you have never smoked a 'pipe' there is no such thing as a 'cheap' good wood pipe. As odd off as it may seem, the old 'clay' pipes were extraordinarily good, but easy to break. Bummer there.

End game is the choice of Tobacco runs from very mild to you think someone's doing a welding project on your tongue. End game of all that (new pipe) is 'choice' and buy 'cheap' tobacco and just burn it in the bowl to get a good 'char.' (Not needed with a clay.) Actually blow down the stem to keep it lit. This process will take longer than you'd think.

All that said, haven't smoked a 'pipe' in years but do 'roll my own' smokes (one at a time tube loading machine) and still smoke pipe TaaBako.

Photo above of a round pipe holder; if you dive off the edge they're excellent. Some will think 'YUCK!' that has to stink. Not so, 'aroma' of a series of well seasoned cold pipes is extraordinarily good.

Back to the "Blend 90" for a moment; folks would stop me on the streets in down town Seattle and ask: 'God that smells good, where did you get it?????'

0200 working ramble here (yes, my 'work' calls for 0100 to 0200 up and on the lap tops) but if you 'smoke' 'fillers' and 'flavorings' are what kill a great Smoke.

fae

The taste of burning wood sucks.......