View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 05:41 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Did You Know...?

Had it been any other day, I might have thrown "river nice" right out the window, and not have taken to the high ground so quickly. But, I'd made a promise to the elderly gentleman just beyond the mid-river seams from me of "one last, good day" astream, a day on which to end our season together, and ultimately, a life spent well. It was a promise that I fully intended to keep...

Looking back on it now, I'm glad that I did. I have to believe that we fly-wranglers are perceived far differently than the slander coming out of the mouths of the floating nimrods last Fall. We do things that others seldom see, due in part because we don't feel the need to post a sign calling attention to it. Be it river improvements, stream clean-ups, giving an assist to a new fly fisherman, or merely stepping out of the way to let a canoe pass, most of us hold ourselves to a set of "rules of conduct" that said nimrods will never fully understand. And, for them, it's really too bad...

Thankfully, the rhetoric of the morning was dwarfed by the events of the day. The wading was an easy pace, fish were caught and released, and the day was salted with its share of short pulls on an old flask while sitting riverside and enjoying a well-packed bowl. A day for the books, if there ever was one.

Tomorrow, I take delivery of what I'm told are some rather large boxes from my late friend. All I know is that his grandson said they were to be given to me, and that the boxes are labeled "fishin' stuff." Full circle, I guess...

Last edited by hairwing530; 03-01-2013 at 07:41 AM.