View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 07:38 AM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Did You Know...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquires View Post
A couple of observations: I challenge anyone to walk a stream that is open to all and then walk a fly-fishing-only stream and compare the amount of litter on each stream.
And my observation has been that in most instances fly fishermen care more about the total experience and less about the kill count than non-fly fishermen.
If those observations lend in any way to my having a superiority complex, then so be it.
I am very new at this and have been out actually fly fishing only on a dozen or so occasions. I went to my first fly-fishing-only/catch-and-release stream this past October. And I can attest, to the things you said. There was not ONE speck of any sort of litter. And this is a heavily fished area (Dunbar Creek in SW PA).

Every guy I met (there were only four that day) were extremely helpful in every way. And I did notice they all were doing more than fishing. They all pointed out little things like the way that tree grew/fell, a bird in that tree, how the water swirls as it flows by that rock over there and where the trout would be lying.

For some reason, the whole experience is better when you fly fish. I don't know if it forces you to become more attuned to your surroundings or if it give you a chance to look.