View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 08:56 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Did You Know...?

busbus,

I'm of the opinion that the reality is that fly fishing is a little of both, especially in the case of a wading fly fisherman. Even today, decades after his death, I still practice what my grandfather taught me about how best to approach a new/old section of river. I find a place to sit just back from the river's edge, and then I watch...

Watching for a good fish working a certain hold or rising on a regular basis settles me into the place. It may take an hour, or it may take 15 minutes. Still, the stalk doesn't start until the watching is finished, and I'm satisfied with the "lay of the land... er, water," so to speak.

A longtime friend likes to refer to this stage of the "river dance" between fish and fisherman as "trout hunting." And, he just may be right! If you've ever watched a heron stand and study a pool, then you know what I mean. Herons are great "trout hunters," and a good indicator of the available fish.

That said, I wish that Spring would move up its arrival here in northern Michigan! I'm tired of snow...