View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 02:28 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: alternate fly tying materials

All of the flies in this photo except the clousers on the lower left have glow in the dark spider web from the Halloween section at K-Mart. It has the same texture and works like EP fiber. The fly on the top right is an EP type minnow made entirely out of the spider web. I darkened the back with a marker and it actually glows though the marker. I love the stuff.

Click the image to open in full size.

I also like Halloween wigs for big Pike flies. I take the straight stuff and wrap a few inches around a pencil and hit it with a hair dryer on high for a bit. It permanently coils it. Whe 'fritzed' up it works exactly like Big Fly Fiber' but is much cheaper and comes in many more colors.

Heart beads from the craft store. I use them as the head on Reynold's Pike Flies. It makes a larger head that protects the only vulnerable spot left on the fly. I use 5 min. epoxy on the weed gaurd, everything else is covered in leather. This makes the flies look better and are now just about indestructable.

Big Intruderish fly I call a flame thrower tied on a cotter pin.

Tube fly Poppers made on cotton swab tubes, foam ear plugs, and the clear tygon tubing from oxygen tubes.

The throat on this tube fly is shed fur from my neighbors half Pekinese, half Chow. Don't ask how that happens, I can't picture it.

I'm sure there is more, but that was all I could think of in a pop quiz sort of way.