View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 03:09 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: How to select fly line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloth View Post
Hello all,
I am new to fly fishing (6 months or so). I have noticed that the first 5 ft or so of the line that came with my rod/reel combo is starting to sink. This has made mending and overall drifting difficult. I need new line. I dont want to break the bank, being a college student im on a tight budget. I have a 9' 5/6 Ross rod and reel. 1st Q is what weight line to get? 2nd is color?Ii know I want WF, F, but other than that I have no idea. I fish in streams and rivers in central and eastern MT. Trout is what I seek. Are their any brands to stay away from. Cabelas/BPS has some for cheep compared to other brands but am i wasting money just to buy more next season?

Thanks for any info
Brent
If you have a 5/6 rod and want a WF line then you should get a WF6F. Typically those dual ratings on rods mean the lighter rating is recommended for a DT and the heavier for a WF.

Color is really a matter of preference. Beginners and people who fish in more turbulent rivers often prefer a bright color such as orange, yellow or chartreuse for visibility. Some more advanced anglers prefer drab earth tones on the theory that they are less likely to spook skittish fish. Jim Teeny makes a line that Gary Lafontaine designed for dry fly fishing and shallow nymphing, for example, that is a dark olive drab. (The reality is that if you're fishing with a 9' leader and cast carefully you can probably keep the line out of the fish's line of sight anyway -- but you might still spook the other fish you never saw.)

To avoid the worn-out tip that absorbs water and sinks, look for a newer model line with a welded front loop and a high-flotation tip. Most of the major brands make one. The "Rise" house brand from Hook & Hackle Co. might be a good choice if you're on a budget.

New! - Hook & Hackle "Rise" Fly Line-Hook & Hackle