Thread: the split tail
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 05:29 PM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: the split tail

Larry its a new thing to me...I am only just trying it now with simpler patterns...there are some folks that can tie in hand 10X better than I can in a vise...especially some of the classic salmon patterns....

it goes back to a time when an angler would whip up a fly while he was fishing in Ireland & Scotland (17-1800's)...with some items in his pocket...a thought that really appeals to me...now thats real "old school"...!

the story behind the "gut loop", which is what they used originally,but I used some braided dacron...strands of floss can be used to...

anglers didn't trust the strength of their hooks for salmon back in the day..and this is what they came up with...I do it out of respect for those old timers...as do many that "tie in hand" regularly...a group to which I am a total novice...

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/