Thread: First fly rod
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 08:14 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First fly rod

It would seem that the OP is getting the ONE from Trout Unlimited, and passing it on to his friend. Certainly a nice gesture, but even the seasoned casters here and elsewhere say that the ONE takes some getting used to, and that it's not the best rod in close. She'll likely be casting/fishing the usual 15-25 feet of line that most freshwater anglers do (at least I enjoy those distances), and fans of the ONE say it's not great at that range. Even George Anderson says he prefers the Z-Axis over the ONE at distances of less than 40 feet, and past that the ONE begins to shine.

Buying a premium rod for a beginner is not an impossible task, and a Sage ZXL is one of the most forgiving rods I've ever enjoyed. I've put in hands that have never touched a fly rod before (streamside), and spincasters found themselves casting with ease in a matter of minutes.

Casting lessons are a good idea as well.