Thread: 2013 Goals...
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 07:49 AM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of
Default Re: 2013 Goals...

Great thread....I've enjoyed reading the many incredible aspirations and goals set forth by all. I personally am a backcountry trout junkie, so I always have many goals and many trips thought out each summer.

1. There is a trophy greenback cutthroat lake in Rocky Mountain NP I've been meaning to get to for 3-4 summers now. Backcountry camping permit reservations over the phone started this morning. It took me two hours to get through to the rangers but I finally scored two different reservations for the same lake. A two night set in July and a three night set in August.

2. Make it to the trophy golden trout lake in Montana that I regretably attempted and failed to hiike into last August.

3. 24" is my largest ever trout, but I've never cracked the 20" mark in the backcountry. I have many promising leads for some truly nice cutthroat lakes found deep in the Wind River Reservation Roadless Area - I'm planning on two extended backpacking trips there this summer to find my elusive 20" backcountry cutthroat or golden trout. If I get it, plan on being inundated with about a million pictures on these forums!

4. I've never had a 100-fish trip. Hope to get it this year.

5. I know this may be taboo for some, but I plan on dining on more trout this year whether it be car camping or on the trail. But only with the best interest of the fishery in mind. Basically I plan on harvesting trout from two areas: (1) put-and-take fisheries like the many reservoirs around the Rockies that are stuffed to the gills with small stockers and (2) high mountain lakes that benefit from some harvest. Some lakes are so overpopulated with stunted trout that harvest is truly beneficial to the survivors. I'm even planning on taking a little less food than normal on backpacking trips and will rely on trout for many lunches and dinners. I just bought an amazing backpacker's grill from Purcell Trench last month. Very expensive ($60), but it only weighs ounces, it's bombproof, and is 17" x 5". And of course, any fish caught in waters that have the potential to grow large trout always get returned unharmed of course!

6. Two Words - FLOAT TUBE!!!! I've had a float tube forever, and I've never even stepped foot in it. That changes this Spring. I hope to catch some monsters in Spinney and Delaney Butte Reservoirs. I live within striking distance of both lakes, and I've seen neither. FLOAT TUBE!!!

7. To catch a backcountry trout in the Appalachains. I grew up in Atlanta and still have a place to base a backpacking trip out of. This Fall I plan on exploring the wilderness areas of the Georgia/North Carolina border.

Good luck to all in 2013!!!