View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 07:29 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Did You Know...?

If you've never been, and you're of the Scot/Irish/English heritages, a prolonged trip to the countries of Great Britain, Scotland and Ireland is an absolute "must" for your bucket list. I did it years ago because I was able to make it into something of a "working(?)" vacation. For me, it was money spent well, as I was able to connect with many of my "across the pond" kin.

Each country had its own particular charm, and alloting two months for the visit allowed me to investigate them all properly. The shops in many of the London districts were amazing, as were the historical aspects of the city and the country as a whole. Even the driven-bird shoots and the sporting life in general were fascinating to compare with our own opportunities.

After a few weeks there with cousins, I headed north to Scotland, hoping to learn more about the Clan Kincaid and their/my history. What I found was a sense of belonging amidst the Highlands and the Lowlands of the country, and the sweeping vistas, one that carried over when I arrived in Ireland, a country so green that it defies any attempt to verbally describe it.

I think that the bottom line about the "Scot or Irish" aspect of our backgrounds is that one had to be of "good stock" to survive and prosper in each. Northern England, a great deal of Scotland and much of Ireland are not for the faint of heart. There are a variety of areas that one would call "rugged," and I believe that the men and women of each country had to be up to the task of handling those challenges, just to survive. Therein lies the magic of calling Scotland, Ireland or England our ancestral homes...

As for my grandmother's Polish heritage? I doubt that I'll be making the "Romania to Poland" swing anytime soon. Too many mountains for my now aging exterior to contend with! And, knowing me, I'd want to walk as many trails as I could. A little like life, in many instances... Wouldn't you agree?? Jerry, aka hairwing530