View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 10:05 AM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Travel 5 Weights

Back in my wilderness back packing days I had a 5 piece fiberglass Scott Pow-R-Play with an LRH and it was a surprisingly fine outfit which employed ingenious hollow spigot ferrules intended to enhance the taper (hence the "Ply" in the name). I travel a lot on airplanes to fish and carry multiple three and four piece rods as carry on luggage in a 6" diameter hard carry tube. I suppose where I traveling via motorcycle (in which case my trip would be at least as much about the bike as fishing) a 5, 6 or 7 piece rod (I think the old Hardy Smuggler is 7 pieces) such a compromise would be within reason. However, if fishing is my intent rather than, "I'll try to squeeze a morning on the local creek in...", I am going to stick with a 4 piece rod.

Much better than they used to be, 4 piece models are the dominant design today but that does not mean the ferrules do not affect the action. Simply cast a 4 piece Zenith next to its 1 piece equivalent and it will blow your mind! I did that with my beloved Zenith 8 1/2'/#4 next to its 8'10"/#4 one piece sibling at Somerset this January and, though I will continue to plane travel with the 4 piece, I have my heart set on the 1 piece version for travel by car (it easily will fit in my old VW Passat Fish Wagon). Yes the old Redington, newer Albright 5 piece rods are not bad back-ups, I have two: a 5-weight which is pretty good and an 8-weight which is less so, but even with improved and computer aided design, the more ferrules the worse the rod. A 9' 4 piece rod easily fits in my wheeled duffel and, if not in yours, you should be shopping for new luggage not a compromise rod. If I still had the physical ability to back pack up into either head water area of the Bob, I would strap an 8 1/2' 4-piece rod to my pack because, if I were lucky enough to ever fish the upper Flathead or better yet, Sun, ever again I would want a great rod, not a compromise, along for the experience.