Thread: First fly rod
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 10:43 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: First fly rod

As Rockriver is thinking about the lifetime TU membership including a "free" ONE", it is a great deal, no doubt and a great if not incomparable rod in my opinion. I doubt, however, it is the rod for her. It is not so much that it is a "high end" or "fast" rod but that it is highly unforgiving; it takes an experienced fly fisher to extract even a portion of its potential. My wife has been fly fishing for about a decade now and has become quite accomplished and very avid. Until recently though, whenever I would hand her one of my Sage rods (and there are no LL's in my quiver!), she would hand it back and say, "not for me, too hard to cast." A light weight, progressive rod that she can feel in at lest a 5 if not 6-weight is the way to go...perhaps from your own collection or from one of the many mid priced sources like ECHO (I am not going to enter the fray about quality for novices. ECHO makes the point that they design rods that can and do satisfy the experienced angler but are assessable to the less experienced as well) for example that are often discussed here in our forum. Good luck and if she develops a tight loop and asks you when can we go fishing again...marry the girl!